I don’t remember who was nominated for the Oscars of 2007, but I do
remember a huge golden statue. I don’t remember the celebs and their fancy
clothing, but I remember parking just a few blocks away, with a sunshine smile between
my ears. Then, Sponge Bob and Darth Vader walked down the street to meet Captain
Jack, and they all had a cigarette. My girlfriend was so happy to take George
Clooney’s photo on the red carpet. An XL security guy with a Made in America mustache
asked how on earth we got in without a pass. We said we’re from Israel. His
smile became laughter, and he ordered us to leave. Thousands of ecstatic fans
from all over the world kissed stars on the sidewalks. The true meaning of
American Idol.
There’s nothing wrong with being a kid, no matter how old you are. As long
as you don’t hurt anybody. If you can stay a kid, by all means, be my guest.
The following year we found a cool apartment one block west of the Chinese
Theatre and the H&H. It was on the safe part of the street (west), but we
paid less than most folks in the Valley. It was a catch. I was a “we” and we didn’t
need anything else. She and I, in the great wide open. “Check out those
chicks!” a friend said as we drove down Hollywood Blvd, just another sunny day.
“I wanna sink my teeth into those thighs and AGHRRR!” “I don’t really see ‘em,”
I answered. He looked at me as if he wasn’t sure he heard me right. I certified
my comment by adding, “I have the best of the best waiting for me at home.”
Now, that was Love.
I remember one night, a family with uncles and aunts an’ all. I was helping
a friend sell vacuum cleaners door to door. Yes, the Jewish immigrant, same as
2000 years ago. When you gotta make money you’ll go all out and make it, and
you’ll never beg. I sold an average of one or two machines a week; and earned a
commission that was higher than the average American wage. And just like the
average American, I spent it all on a dream. It was Burbank just before
Christmas and everything was adorned.
If you look at the US from outer space one month before Christmas you see a
net of magical lanterns. The family wanted the vacuum, it really was a good
vacuum, but they bargained down to the last penny. It’s a misconception that
Americans spend money recklessly. They know how to get what they want and in
the way that they want it. This family, was no exception. After a couple hours,
their negotiating made my commission disappear, but they were finally ready to
buy. Then the uncles said they want one too. This later brought me a monthly
bonus and a “golden” pin next day in the office.
I don’t remember the struggling, the uncertainty, the fights. The mean
strangers and weird jobs we had to put up with, the cheap food we lived on. I
do, however, remember outings we sometimes could afford; nights of a dazzling
Hollywood breeze. For the past two weeks, I made a marathon of the 2013 Oscar films.
I won’t say I’m objective. On the contrary, I’m not. I stand for my experience
and for the elixirs that I’ve earned.
The single moment that struck a chord in my heart in one of the Oscar
winning movies, was the moment that contained the song, Have
Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra. If the actors were a little
less incredibly good looking, I would probably buy into the film a bit more,
but then no one would watch it. I mean, for sure, every time a person leaves
the mental house back to his folks’ attic he’s sexy and wild. And obviously
every time something like this happens, there’s an angelic damsel in distress
who chases him down the path of Love. I’ve seen it a million times in the real
world. Not.
But do you know what I did see? I saw families flooding up malls smiling
and contempt. I saw young parents with small strollers and huge tattoos. I saw
MILF’s and kids with white hair, who would put any person in his or her place
for saying anything stupid. I saw people who wish for nothing but happiness and
freedom, and every year on November 30th break some savings and buy
dreams because it’s fun. TV feeds us commercials 24/7. What’s wrong with treating
your family generously once a year when everything costs less than one week’s
beer and diapers? It’s good to let go of the stress by spending savings in a responsible
way. I remember a nation of people who mostly retire in their 60s to start the
best years of their lives by renovating hot rods and fishing and watching TV.
Here’s a good, simple song about not judging what’s different - Mike
Younger with If By Chance We Meet Again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJkZPlddRY
What I’m saying is, I wish more people would be a little more childish and
a little less judging. I miss the United States of Christmas. I miss it more
than words can tell. I’m not envious, but I’m sick of reminiscing. I wish it
was a bit easier. Even when life in the new-old country starts to get on track,
emigration and integration are layers upon layers of adaption and acclimation. You
think you’re done with one step, and ten more come up. No one understands the
loneliness. I feel that if I’m not the same as the locals in the country I live
in, I’m not as wanted.
They all seem so sure of themselves, no matter where you are. I keep on reminding
myself to move forward and to be grateful, and people believe and look up to me
because I’m not a part of one defined system. Yet something inside longs for
what used to be, and not what’s now. Consciously, I chose my place long ago and
I was kicked between the eyes, twice. Sometimes, our worst enemies are memory
and free choice. Then, they become our strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment