You know how sometimes
one action leads to a whole chain of unrelated events? Well, I’m beginning to
see the light again, and it all started by taking the one action I tried most
to avoid – taking a part-time day job at a small neighborhood café, which I
hated.
The first step, which was
handing out service-industry resumes was the hardest. Excuse me, in fact, starting
to work for minimum wage in a place I didn’t feel one bit of affinity towards,
that was the hardest. For more than a month I was clinically depressed. Then,
the dominoes began to fall.
After a few weeks in the
café I could fake a smile again. I put a complete halt on sending out
professional resumes for writing-industry jobs. During
the past year I wasn’t making enough for my basic survival needs, and I needed
a change of tactics.
A friend connected me to
a guy who makes passion-fruit liqueur in a farm up north. It turned out to be a
delicious, award-winning drink! I started setting up a booth in farmers’
markets and country fairs one or two days a week, and to sell his liqueur.
Without any boss to answer to, yapping with people who are on their day out, it
turned out to be a lot of fun and highly profitable!
As much as I hated
working in the café, I kept both jobs for a few more weeks. I had
responsibilities – bills, expenses, student loans, you name it. Then one morning,
the café manager lost his temper. It didn’t aggravate me, but I saw an
opportunity and took it. I walked through that door and never looked back.
Working two days a week
in that passion-fruit liqueur booth, left me plenty of time to work on my short
stories and screenplays, to do yoga, to run errands etc. Just as I lost all hope
for making a living out of writing, at least till I can sell a book or some
Hollywood hit, just as I began acknowledging the liberating sensation only
money can bring to those who truly need it, something wonderful happened.
My booth had a spot in a
prestigious wine exhibition, abundant with media and culinary writers. I
printed out business cards – a step I kept postponing for a whole year! – and did
some networking. A writer I met forwarded my info to a director. After another
week or two, business came in! I was hired to write a high-end orientation
video!
One thing leads to
another. The domino effect. Taking the first step for the sake of survival, the
second for the sake of living, and getting much further than you could originally
see. Going through a wall of self-doubts, breaking through on the other side, a
new, stronger person.
Meanwhile, I got another gig!
Writing the content for a new website – the passion-fruit liqueur website!
I’m beginning to see the
light again. In a couple of months my life will finally get on the track I’ve
been longing for so dearly for so long. I already brought the subject up with a
friend - moving into a TLV apartment. The friend is a 2D animator who will make
a wonderful roommate and probably be in collaborating on some work too.
No comments:
Post a Comment