Do you really want to know what it’s like to move back to Israel after 6 years in the West Coast of North America? I couldn’t tell you because you see, for me, over there was heaven, but that’s an individual thing. The fact is that it takes a whole lotta guts to break free and start from scratch with nothing but holes in your pockets (and sometimes in your socks), and I was lucky enough to go through this experience four times since 2006.
There are voices in my head too harsh in respond to all that endless worldwide rambling. Probably because I Loved like crazy to live in the lands of dreams, even when it involved low status I wouldn’t take anywhere else. It’s a Gold Rush, an emigration people have always made. In the New World everything felt worthwhile; a chance to make something different out of the life that was sentenced for you from birth.
The Red Hot Chilly Peppers put it nicely: “These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun”. I was in a place where I’d pay anything to arrange my situation, and I did, with gazillion debts. I would take the silliest jobs, and I did, throwing myself back to the age of 16, working my hacks off as a barista, and at the same time building up my film career. It seemed logical – barista was the only way I could get a Canadian sponsorship.
Looking back, perhaps the reason my time forcibly ended was that the sacrifices I was willing to make were too much, and let that be a lesson for the generations. Realistically, for a long time after school I had to compromise on the most available non-professional jobs, just to make ends meet. And I am grateful for not having a rich dad who could send me money, so I must be a self-made man.
Why did I want to do other things but my true nature and one and only line of business?
Starting life in a new country is a world of opportunities that can make you deaf, dumb and blind. You would eat crap and it would taste like caviar. You would compromise to un-measurable extents, hurt yourself and give up friends and family, and you won’t see it till it’s too late. You would go through ten times the bureaucracy, pay numerously, say thank you and call it a win when you get papers to live on that new piece of land in the same old world. You would agree to compromise on everything and feel you’re on the top of the world.
And now, if I’ve learnt anything, I should actualize my dream and not compromise, because that’s the only option the world lets me be. And I feel grateful for developing this mental map; this model of reality. Starting from scratch in a new place forces you to learn and experience new things every day so your mind becomes stimulated like a child’s. I developed this quality and am now carrying it in my tool box anywhere I go. I earned an opportunity for a new reincarnation in the very same lifetime, and that is, a dream.
After nearly 3 years of working his way up in the film industry of beautiful Vancouver BC, Moshe Parnes started this blog. One day a letter from immigration came, giving him 8 days to leave Canada. It was a curve ball. A fusing of past, present and future, Keep The Frame holds to its original themes of Love, Dating and Healthy Living, plus the re-integrating of a budding professional in an old new reality starting from scratch. Hope you have a great read.
No comments:
Post a Comment