Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Symbiotic Exchange


Being an adult is fun. I feel extremely lucky to have been moving around and gaining experiences from different places and cultures for the last major chunk of my life. When I started traveling 10 years ago in my early 20s it was just when I was leaving my stupid years behind, and stepping up into a world of freedom and making dreams come true.

If we look at life as a three act structure screenplay, first 20 years are definitely Act 1. Unlike a movie though, all acts don’t have to explore the same flaws. These can change. We can evolve. When we correct past inequities, new ones come to our attention. The more the merrier. Refinement of the Self, equals refinement of the soul.

One of the concepts that have changed my perception of life, and therefor changed my life, is from an NLP book called Mind Lines by Michael Hall. Hall argues that people who say things like “I can’t change – that’s just the way I am!” Or “I’m not the kind of person who can… ” choose to hold on to their shortcomings. He then brings examples of ways to change these destructive frames and to build new ones. We can change. We’re meant to change. There are ways to change, and BTW, there are no shortcuts. We are doomed to enjoy every bit of suffering throughout our transformation.

It’s called growing pains. Who said creation is easy? The tree is fed on water and soil and grows into air. Its shape and size shift with time and it takes more space. A new material is being created. It must involve some symbiotic exchange. In the process of evolving our spirit, I believe a similar shift happens and we must be open to it, and let it happen.

What if who you are now is completely different than who you were 10 and 20 years ago? What if you could make this shift happen in places so rooted in your behavior, you thought they were impossible to re-frame? Exploring the dark corners of your heart, and questioning weaknesses can bring outstanding results.

Just do us all a favor and keep your intentions pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment